Tuesday 25 October 2011

Going back to school : University options for PhD

Picture courtesy of http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/websites/education/university/massachusetts/harvard-university.htm

Back to school? Yes. Its time, before its too late. I'm not getting any younger, and I really need to settle down soon. I want to get a PhD, and i want kids on my own. I've been surveying potential universities to further my PhD degree since I got back fom Japan. That was almost a year now.

Back in August I have discussed with a potential supervisor from a university in Australia, proposed a few projects and he liked the last project which is something to do with viral infection and risk susceptibilities. I love the idea too.. since its my original ideas, plus that he gave some input to be added up to make it more sensible. I bet, most of you were wondering how I manage to discussed with him, huh? Well, he visited my workplace, its like an annual event for him, as he is an adjunct professor for our institute. He's very kind and understanding. Well, for as far as I know him (not yet a SV), he's pretty supportive. However, my heart has never been to Ozzie. I've always wanted to go to United Kingdom or perhaps USA. Of course for USA, its out of the questions, because its gonna be 5 years until i will be conferred a PhD degree and its too long for me. I'll get bored, bla bla bla.. Even with the discussion with the potential SV, things still moving as slow as it is before.

Last week i got depressed due to this matter as well as I may not have a funded project and that is bad... Talked to my sis, crying, not knowing what to do next, hardly getting any support from the upper management of the institute (probably they are just too busy), my sis told me its because I relied on one option, that is the ozzie university. That moment, i tried to re-gain my effort and will to resume my applications and enquiries on other universities again.


Picture courtesy of http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/54500/54529/54529_johns_hopkin.htm


The only problem is, I hardly get any responds from any universities. Some may reply but with dissappointing emails, most will ask to register online, then only they will assign me to which lab. This wasnt enough, as I do not have any potential SV who wish to know more about me. I wish I know what my mistkes are, since there is nobody have any interest of knowing me.

But I must not give up, now keeps on browsing universities in the world, which could provide me knowledge and experience I long to have. Any ideas which university is suitable with my interest?

I tried emailling Yale. They asked me to apply online. then I will have to enroll a two years course, if I passed, then only they decide on which lab shall i be to do my PhD. Well, this is just the USA format. so, altogether it'll be 5 years to complete the whole PhD. I will be too old to spread my wings then.

Stanford. No project. So they say.
Edinburgh. Online registration.
Oxford. No respond.
Univ of Berkeley. Online registration.
Cambridge. No project.
Birmingham. No respond.
Dundee. No respond.
Sheffield. No respond.
.....and the list go on..

Well, I better keep on trying. Keep writing..keep on writing... Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment